The Yakuza video game series is known for its captivating storyline, intriguing characters, and immersive gameplay. However, for newcomers to the series, the sheer number of games and spin-offs can be overwhelming. With a mainline series that spans across multiple consoles and platforms, as well as several spin-off games, it can be challenging to determine the best order to play the Yakuza games. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the Yakuza series and ensure that you get the most out of your gaming experience. Whether you’re a seasoned gamer or a newcomer to the series, this guide will help you make sense of the Yakuza universe and ensure that you play the games in the optimal order.
The Yakuza video game series, also known as the Ryū ga Gotoku series in Japan, is a long-running and beloved franchise by Sega. The series primarily takes place in the cities of Tokyo and Osaka, Japan, and follows the story of Kazuma Kiryu, a retired yakuza member.
While the series has many standalone stories and side-stories, the main series can be divided into two primary arcs: the “Majima Saga” and the “Kiryu Saga.” The “Majima Saga” focuses on the story of Goro Majima, a former member of the Majima Family, and his journey to regain his position in the yakuza world. The “Kiryu Saga,” on the other hand, follows Kazuma Kiryu as he gets dragged back into the world of the yakuza.
For those new to the series, it is recommended to start with the first game, “Yakuza 0,” which serves as a prequel to the entire series. From there, the recommended order would be to play the games in the “Majima Saga” first, starting with “Yakuza 3” and then continuing with “Yakuza 4” and “Yakuza 5.” After completing these games, players can then jump into the “Kiryu Saga” with “Yakuza 1” and continue with “Yakuza 2,” “Yakuza 3,” “Yakuza 4,” “Yakuza 5,” and finally “Yakuza 6.”
It’s worth noting that while the “Majima Saga” and “Kiryu Saga” are the primary arcs, there are other games and spin-offs in the series that can be played in any order. However, to fully understand the story and characters, it’s best to play the main series in the order mentioned above.
Introduction to the Yakuza series
Brief history of the Yakuza series
The Yakuza series, also known as Ryū ga Gotoku in Japan, is a long-running franchise of action-adventure video games developed and published by Sega. The series was first introduced in 2005 with the release of the first game, Yakuza, for the PlayStation 2. Since then, the series has grown to include over a dozen mainline games, numerous spin-offs, and even anime adaptations.
The Yakuza series is set in the world of Japanese organized crime, known as the yakuza, and follows the story of protagonist Kazuma Kiryu and his involvement in the criminal underworld. The series is known for its blend of action, drama, and humor, as well as its deep and complex storytelling.
Over the years, the series has evolved and expanded, with each new game building on the previous one’s story and introducing new characters and gameplay mechanics. With so many games in the series, it can be difficult to know where to start, especially for newcomers to the franchise.
Overview of the Yakuza series
The Yakuza series is a long-running and beloved franchise of video games developed and published by Sega. The series has been active since 2005 and has released numerous games across different platforms. The series primarily focuses on the Japanese criminal underworld, and the games follow the stories of various characters who are involved in the world of organized crime.
The Yakuza series is known for its immersive storytelling, engaging characters, and dynamic combat system. The games also feature a variety of mini-games and side quests that add to the overall experience. The series has a large and dedicated fan base, and many players are interested in playing through the games in the best possible order.
The Yakuza series is set in various locations in Japan, including Tokyo, Osaka, and Sapporo. The games often feature real-life landmarks and cultural references, adding to the authenticity of the experience. The series has also introduced several spin-off games, such as the Judgment series, which has further expanded the world of the Yakuza franchise.
In summary, the Yakuza series is a critically acclaimed franchise of video games that focuses on the Japanese criminal underworld. The series has a large and dedicated fan base, and many players are interested in playing through the games in the best possible order. The series features immersive storytelling, engaging characters, and dynamic combat system, and is set in various locations in Japan.
The recommended order to play the Yakuza series
When it comes to playing the Yakuza video game series, many fans recommend playing the games in chronological order for the best experience. This means starting with the first game in the series, and then playing through the games in order of their release date.
One of the main benefits of playing the games in chronological order is that it allows players to fully immerse themselves in the story and characters of the series. By starting with the first game, players can experience the origins of the characters and the world they inhabit, and then follow their development and evolution throughout the series.
Additionally, playing the games in chronological order ensures that players don’t miss any important plot points or character development. As the series progresses, the story becomes more complex and interwoven, and playing the games in order helps players to keep track of all the details and plot twists.
Of course, it’s worth noting that the Yakuza series is known for its rich and complex storytelling, and there are many side quests and side stories that players can engage with along the way. While playing the games in chronological order is the recommended approach, players should feel free to take breaks and explore these side quests as they see fit.
Overall, playing the Yakuza series in chronological order is the best way to fully experience the story and characters of the series. By starting with the first game and playing through the series in order, players can fully immerse themselves in the world of Yakuza and experience the development of the characters and story over time.
The storyline order is the most straightforward way to experience the Yakuza series. This order begins with the first game and follows the main story as it progresses through each subsequent release. This order is recommended for those who are new to the series and want to experience the story in chronological order.
- Yakuza (2005)
- Yakuza 2 (2006)
- Yakuza 3 (2009)
- Yakuza 4 (2010)
- Yakuza 5 (2012)
- Yakuza 0 (2015)
- Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (2016)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020)
By following this order, players will experience the evolution of the story and the growth of the characters over time. It is important to note that while each game has its own unique storyline, they are all interconnected and build upon each other. Therefore, it is recommended to play the games in this order to fully understand the story and its development.
For those who have already played some of the games in the Yakuza series, or for those who want to try a different order, there is an alternative way to play the games that offers a unique experience.
Here is a possible alternative order to play the Yakuza series:
- Yakuza 0
- Yakuza 3
- Yakuza 4
- Yakuza 5
- Yakuza 6
- Yakuza: Dead Souls
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
In this order, players start with the prequel, Yakuza 0, which sets the stage for the rest of the series. Then, they move on to Yakuza 3, which takes place after the events of Yakuza 0 and introduces new characters and storylines. Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5 continue the story and introduce new playable characters, while Yakuza 6 serves as a conclusion to the original storyline.
After playing through the first six games, players can take a break from the main story and try out the spin-off game, Yakuza: Dead Souls, which is a zombie-themed game that features a different cast of characters. Finally, players can finish off the series with Yakuza: Like a Dragon, which introduces a new protagonist and a fresh storyline.
Overall, this alternative order offers a unique experience for players who have already played some of the games in the series or want to try something different.
Factors to consider when choosing the order
When deciding on the order to play the Yakuza video game series, there are several factors to consider. These factors include the storyline, the characters, and the gameplay mechanics.
The storyline is a crucial factor to consider when choosing the order to play the Yakuza series. The series has a complex narrative that spans multiple games, and the story can be challenging to follow if you don’t play the games in the right order. It is recommended to start with the first game, Yakuza 0, which serves as a prequel to the entire series. This will help you understand the background story and the characters better.
The characters in the Yakuza series are essential to the storyline, and their development and growth are an integral part of the game. Some characters appear in multiple games, and their stories are intertwined. It is crucial to play the games in the right order to understand the characters’ backstories and their relationships with each other.
The gameplay mechanics of the Yakuza series also need to be considered when choosing the order to play the games. Each game in the series has unique gameplay mechanics, and some games introduce new features that are not present in previous games. It is recommended to play the games in the order they were released to ensure a smooth progression in the gameplay mechanics.
In conclusion, when choosing the order to play the Yakuza series, it is crucial to consider the storyline, characters, and gameplay mechanics. Starting with Yakuza 0 and playing the games in chronological order is the recommended approach to ensure a complete and satisfying experience.
Tips for playing the Yakuza series
For those who are new to the Yakuza series, here are some tips to help you navigate through the games and get the most out of your experience:
- Familiarize yourself with the setting: The Yakuza series is set in Japan, specifically in the city of Tokyo and its surrounding areas. While playing the games, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of Japanese culture and history, as well as the dynamics of the Yakuza organization.
- Pay attention to the story: The Yakuza series is known for its deep and complex storylines, so it’s important to pay attention to the plot and characters. While the games do a good job of catching players up on previous events, it’s still helpful to keep track of key characters and events.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment: The Yakuza series offers a wide range of activities and mini-games, from fighting and shooting to karaoke and arcade games. Don’t be afraid to try out new things and explore different aspects of the game.
- Keep an eye on the mini-games: While the main storyline is the focus of the Yakuza series, the mini-games are an integral part of the experience. Many of the mini-games offer unique and entertaining gameplay, so it’s worth taking the time to try them out.
- Use the tutorial mode: For those who are new to the series, the tutorial mode is a great way to get up to speed on the gameplay mechanics. It’s also a good way to get a feel for the game and its systems before diving into the main story.
- Don’t be afraid to take breaks: The Yakuza series can be intense and immersive, so it’s important to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge. Taking breaks can also help prevent burnout and keep you fresh for the next session.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the Yakuza series and all it has to offer.
Recap of the recommended order
The Yakuza series is a long-running and beloved franchise that has been entertaining gamers for over two decades. With a complex storyline and numerous spin-offs, it can be difficult to know where to start. However, the recommended order to play the Yakuza series is as follows:
- Yakuza 0 (2015) – A prequel set in the 1980s
- Yakuza: Dead Souls (2011) – A spin-off title
- Yakuza: Kiwami (2017) – A remake of the first game
- Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (2018) – A remake of the second game
- Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (2016)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020) – A spin-off title featuring a new protagonist
This order ensures that players will have the best experience possible by playing the games in the order they were released, while also ensuring that players are not missing out on any important story elements. It is recommended to start with the first game and continue through the series in order to fully understand the story and characters.
Final thoughts on the Yakuza series
- The Yakuza series is a beloved franchise known for its engaging storylines, memorable characters, and unique blend of action, adventure, and role-playing elements.
- For those new to the series, determining the best order to play the games can be a daunting task.
- The recommended order to play the Yakuza series is to start with the first game, Yakuza 0, and then proceed to play the games in chronological order, ending with the most recent release.
- However, it is important to note that some games in the series are prequels, while others are sequels, which can make the recommended order slightly complicated.
- Players may choose to play the games in release order, starting with Yakuza 1 and 2, then Yakuza 3, 4, and 5, followed by the spin-off games, and finally the remake of the first game, Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
- Alternatively, players may opt to play the games in a more linear fashion, starting with the origin story of the protagonist in Yakuza 0, followed by the prequel games, and then the sequels.
- Regardless of the order chosen, it is essential to experience the games in order to fully appreciate the growth and development of the characters and the progression of the story.
- The Yakuza series is known for its deep storytelling, complex characters, and immersive gameplay, making it a must-play for fans of the genre.
- Overall, the Yakuza series is a masterpiece that offers a unique and unforgettable gaming experience, and players are encouraged to explore the different entries in the series to fully appreciate the world of Yakuza.
Additional resources for Yakuza fans
As a fan of the Yakuza series, it can be challenging to navigate the many spin-offs, side stories, and prequels that have been released over the years. However, there are several resources available to help guide you through the series and ensure that you get the most out of your gaming experience.
One such resource is the official Yakuza website, which provides a comprehensive timeline of the series, including all of the main games, spin-offs, and side stories. This timeline is a valuable tool for understanding the connections between the different games and determining the best order to play them in.
Another useful resource for Yakuza fans is the series’ official wiki, which contains detailed information on each game, including plot summaries, character profiles, and gameplay mechanics. The wiki is a great place to find answers to specific questions about the series, as well as to explore the various subplots and storylines that have emerged over the years.
Finally, for those who prefer to get their information from a more traditional source, there are several books and guides available that provide in-depth analysis and commentary on the Yakuza series. These resources can be a great way to gain a deeper understanding of the series’ complex storylines and characters, as well as to learn more about the cultural and historical context in which the games are set.
Overall, whether you’re a newcomer to the series or a seasoned fan, there are plenty of resources available to help you navigate the world of Yakuza and ensure that you get the most out of your gaming experience.
1. What is the Yakuza video game series about?
The Yakuza video game series is a series of action-adventure games set in Japan, focusing on the Japanese criminal underworld, known as the Yakuza. The games follow the story of various characters as they navigate the world of organized crime, and often involve themes of loyalty, honor, and family.
2. What is the recommended order to play the Yakuza games?
The recommended order to play the Yakuza games is as follows:
3. Yakuza 2
4. Yakuza 3
5. Yakuza 4
6. Yakuza 5
7. Yakuza 6: Song of the Sun
8. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
This order is recommended because it is the chronological order of the games, and will allow players to fully understand the story and characters as they progress through the series.
3. Can I skip any of the Yakuza games?
It is recommended to play all of the Yakuza games in order to fully understand the story and characters. However, if you are short on time, you can skip Yakuza 6: Song of the Sun, as it is not considered to be one of the best entries in the series.
4. Are the Yakuza games connected?
Yes, the Yakuza games are connected and share a common storyline. It is recommended to play them in order to fully understand the story and characters.
5. Is it necessary to play the spin-off games in the Yakuza series?
No, it is not necessary to play the spin-off games in the Yakuza series, such as Yakuza: Dead Souls or Yakuza: Kiwami, in order to understand the main storyline. However, these games can be enjoyable and provide additional context for the characters and world of the Yakuza series.